Senior Software Engineer
Senior Software Engineer– Newbury or London
Java | Agile | Microservices | DevOps | Cloud/ AWS
Here at Vodafone UK, we have exciting opportunities for Senior Software Engineers to join our new Digital Engineering team in Newbury or London.
Building great products that delight our customers and transform the way they engage with us is why we're here, but we're also building a world-class capability to build and ship high quality products, leading the way across Vodafone to transform the way we deliver our solutions - and it's here where this role is so important to us. Our digital channels are used by millions of our customers and we have big plans for the future!
Our Platform is at the heart of this, to allow our digital channels to quickly develop new and improved applications based on secure, reliable and scalable services, based on a cloud-based micro-services architecture.
This is a unique opportunity to be an early member of a newly established team working on new development projects within an established global technology leader.
About the role
In this role you’ll be reporting to a Chapter Lead (Team Leader) who is responsible for your career development, but you'll also be part of a development squad, charged with developing, testing and deploying new features and capability within our platform. Working within a Scrum squad, you'll refine, plan and implement user stories ensuring the quality and integrity of the platform through appropriate technology, standards and best practice. You'll strive to continuously learn, develop and improve the services and your own skills.
You'll be responsible for
- Hands on development of micro-services as part of a development squad using Scrum/Kanban within a SAFe environment
- Driving the quality and performance of owned micro-services, through the use of standards and best practices
- Establishing a culture of continuous improvement through learning, training and coaching
- Ensuring quality is at the heart of everything you and your team does
To be successful you're going to need…
- Extensive experience in designing and developing RESTful APIs within a micro-services architecture
- Deep knowledge of Java (JEE) and Java Servlets
- Substantial experience in Scrum and developing through BDD/TDD, using associated tools for testing and continuous integration & deployment
- Ability to support and coach junior developers
- An ability to challenge others in doing what’s right for the business.
- A passion for finding solutions to problems that haven’t been solved before
Things we'd rate you even higher for …
- Certifications in Scrum, SAFe or other scaled agile frameworks
- Experience in AWS services
- Use of Docker or other container management
Why join the UK Digital IT?
For us, digital transformation is constant - and not a one-off event. It’s our obsession, it’s how we forever evolve our technology to improve the lives of our customers.
We are continually experimenting with ways to make our journeys more intuitive, simple and fun. And we’re constantly testing and trialling new ways to give customers faster access to our services, more flexibility - and the richest, most rewarding experience.
We’re at the forefront of pushing the boundaries in Vodafone and are looking for people comfortable with being trailblazers as well as having the pragmatism to work in a multinational/global business.
All you need is the right mindset and the desire to help craft award-winning digital experiences – we work at pace, we love ideas and collaborate on agile projects.